"The whole theatre should be a stage!" Bauhaus artists dreamed of a theatre that would liberate its audiences from their passivity and place them at the centre of the action in an imaginary world.
A special collaboration between virtual reality pioneers, the acclaimed choreographer Richard Siegal and the cult band Einstürzende Neubauten made the bauhaus dream of “total theatre” a reality in this anniversary year. Fusing body and space together, they transplant Walter Gropius’s and Oskar Schlemmer’s experiments in stagecraft into the digital age.
The relationship between man and machine that the bauhaus was already exploring even a hundred years ago here becomes a three-dimensional audiovisual experience in an immersive dance video that can be viewed on the ARTE 360° app since the 17th January, and that has been shown for the first time at the 100 years Bauhaus festival at the Berlin Akademie der Künste.
Das Totale Tanz Theater 360 is an Interactive Media Foundation and Filmtank project created in collaboration with ARTE/ZDF for the multimedia Bauhaus Spirit project.
Das Totale Tanz Theater 360 is based on the three-dimensional VR installation Das Totale Tanz Theater, an Interactive Media Foundation and Filmtank project co-created with Artificial Rome and supported by the German Federal Cultural Foundation’s Bauhaus heute Fund and the Medienboard Berlin Brandenburg.
- Choreography - Richard Siegal
- Music - "Si Takka Lumi" by Einstürzende Neubauten*
- Director - Maya Puig
- Executive Producer - Diana Schniedermeier
- Artificial Rome VR Leads - Patrik de Jong, Dirk Hoffmann, Torsten Sperling, Sebastian Hein, Nico Alexander Taniyama
- Editing INVR.SPACE - Philipp Wenning, Jessica Zippel
- *Einstürzende Neubauten – Si Takka Lumi - (Bargeld / Bargeld, Chudy, Hacke, Moser, Arbeit), Published by Freibank Musikverlage, Hamburg
- Vocals, piano, Hammond organ, Rhodes electric piano, electric slide guitar - Blixa Bargeld
- Slide metal spring, water percussion, bicycle, metal percussion, choir - Andrew Chudy
- Electric 6-string bass guitar, electric bass guitar, choir - Alexander Hacke
- Plastic Pipes, glass harp, electronic processing, bass drum, metal percussion, water percussion, choir - Rudolph Moser
- Electric guitar, choir - Jochen Arbeit
- Cello - Martina Bertoni
- Recorded and mixed by Boris Wilsdorf at AndereBaustelle / Berlin - Produced by Einstürzende Neubauten and Boris Wilsdorf