The expressionist silent film "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" from 1920 is a complex, confusing and frightening masterpiece. The digital production "Cesare’s Dream – In the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" from 2019 is an homage to the immersive aspects of this film using new technology.
The aim is to take the user into a dreamlike world, in which set pieces from “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari” can be experienced. The dream here is the logical complement to sleep, which is an important element in the film. The virtual dream experience represents aspects of freedom as well as dependence for the user at the same time. Freedom in the angle of vision, in reception and in dealing with dream images. And lack of freedom in the fact that the presented scenario itself cannot be influenced. Part of this dream is dependence: Cesare is a creature dominated by Dr. Caligari.
The 1920 film knew in a fascinating way how to deal with the limitations of silent filmmaking and the camera technique of the time. On behalf of the Goethe-Institut Warschau and in association with ZDF/ARTE, UFA X accepted the challenge of exploring the new possibilities of the still young technology of volumetric video technology and making the silent film classic a virtual experience. Step inside and have a look for yourself! A dreamlike experience awaits you.
“Cesare’s Dream – In the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari” is based on the VR Experience “Cesare’s Dream VR” which is an UFA X / UFA production for the Goethe-Institut Warschau in association with ZDF/ARTE.
- Capturing Director - Sebastian Mattukat
- Creative Producer - Fabian Mrongowius
- Writer - Floris Asche
- First Assistant Director - Alpay Algür
- Cinematography - Thomas Bernecker (DoP 2D), Danny Tatzelt (DoP Volumetric)
- Sound Recordist - Thomas Koch
- Art Director - Nicolas de Leval Jezierski
- Costume Design - Virginie Henzen
- Make-up Artist - Meike Gfrörer
- Casting Director - Bo Rosenmüller
- VR Supervisor - Frank Govaere
- Senior VR Artist - Carsten Benzin
- VR Artist - Armin Efsharnejat
- Trainee - Anna Greger
- Executive Producer - Nancy Julius, Floris Asche
- Production Manager - Maximilian Peiser
- Production Assistant - Christian Cante
- Production - UFA X, UFA SERIAL DRAMA, ZDF/ARTE
- Associate Producer - Simon Ofenloch (ZDF/ARTE), Annina Zwettler (ARTE Deutschland), Dorit von Scharpen (ARTE G.E.I.E.)
- Dr. Caligari - Arkadiusz Jakubik
- Cesare - Jakub Gierszał